A renovation is a golden opportunity to renew your space for a new generation of patrons. But not every library has staff with current experience renovating, so every year, libraries make the same 5 mistakes when renovating. Join NYU professor and author of Library Space Planning: A PLA Guide David Vinjamuri, leading library architect Joe Huberty of Engberg Anderson and community librarian Julie Retherford (who just finished a two-year pandemic renovation) to learn the secrets of a successful renovation and how you can avoid the most common pitfalls.
At the end of this webinar, the attendees will be able to:
- Create a renovation plan that avoids the most common mistakes libraries make when renovating;
- Understand the process to uncover hidden community needs;
- Measure the circulation efficiency of collection items and identify dead zones;
- Spot red flags when hiring a design team; and
- Assemble a cross-functional team that will preserve the original vision for the renovation through completion.
Who Should Attend: Library directors, board members, civic leaders and senior library staff.
- David Vinjamuri is the author of Library Space Planning: A PLA Guide (ALA, 2019). He has audited over sixty libraries as a Space Planner for ThirdWay Space. He teaches graduate marketing at New York University.
- As an architect and partner at Engberg Anderson, Joe Huberty has worked with over 300 libraries. He studied architecture in Wisconsin and Paris.
- Julie Retherford completed a two year renovation of the Chetco Community Public library in 2022 and learned a thing or two. She previously worked with libraries in Ohio and got her MILS in Kentucky.
Tech RequirementsCore Webinars are held in Zoom. Speakers or a headset for listening to the presentation are required. You may interact with the presenter and ask questions through text-based chat. Closed captioning is available in the Zoom platform. The webcast will be recorded and the link to the recording shared with registrants shortly after the live event.
CALL Training Partner for this Event: American Library Association
I understand that a space will be reserved for me in this learning opportunity at a cost to CALL, and if I am unable to attend this learning opportunity, I will cancel my enrollment as soon as possible and before the start date.
If you're unable to attend the live event, a recording will be distributed after the event.